Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lavender in bloom

lavandula augustifolia

For years, Lavender (Lavandula augustifolia) has been my very favorite herb. I love the color and all but worship the fragrance. I’ve had a bush in the ground at every house we’ve lived in and before that, always had a pot of it sitting in the kitchens of our previous apartments. Even when the bush is not in bloom, I love to rub the stems and inhale the oil off my hands as I walk by, so they have typically been planted by steps and entrances.

fresh picked lavender blooms

lavendar blooms

I found out this year that the blooms are edible so we’ve been enjoying this recipe and wanted to share it. If you have any lavender nearby that is in bloom, enjoy some time harvesting the blooms while inhaling the amazing fragrance. These cookies will be a delight to your senses. Enjoy! ~


Lavender cookies

Recipe:

5/8 cup butter (1 stick + 1 tbsp)
½ cup white sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp lavender flowers
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour

Cream butter and sugar
Add egg and lavender flowers
Mix in flour a little at a time

Bake 350 degrees for approx 15 minutes or until the edges start to brown. You can also top the cookies with some extra flowers.
lavender cookies
So, so good!